Sunday, September 11, 2011

The New-ish LG Phoenix (Review)

So the LG phoenix and I go way back, probably about a week. But I've been there for it the first time it was taken out of the small cardboard box it was shipped in. Ahhh good times, but I digress... Any who, I like to think of this phone as a baby android. Its only running Froyo (android 2.2) out of the box, however I'm a sucker for ice cream (frozen yogurt in this case). The device itself feels great in my hands and even though I'm used to a larger screen (4.1 in), this smaller 3.2 in screen is actually better than expected, my fat thumbs can type flawlessly. Now when I use my normal phone it feels so weird having a large screen, thanks LG...

The phone itself sizes in at 4.47 x 2.32 x 0.53 in (LxWxH). I know it doesn't sound like much since everyone's a 'size queen' now adays but its a great change. Since the LG Phoenix is an android device it comes standard with email, music, web, Blue tooth, WiFi and yes even sms/mms. The battery capacity is 1500 mAh and using it heavily, It lasts me a day and a half.

Let me explain a few things I wish LG would have done to make this a phone i would replace my current one with. First things first, the screen material(for lack of a better term). Its not the awesome glass that everyone's used to on a high end smartphone, its more like a cheap plastic feeling. However using it for a week I haven't accumulated any scratches... knock on wood. Second, I wish it had a faster processor. It come standard with a 600MHz processor which is fine and has very little lag when doing things, but when you try to multitask you can feel it slow down. Lastly I wish it had a larger MP camera. Its only 3.2MP with no flash which is standard for a basic phone but if it's gonna be a replacer, it has to be at least 5MP+ with flash in my book.

So all-in-all I like this phone and if you want a nice, compact, reliable android phone without either breaking the bank or too large of a screen, The LG Phoenix is the way to go.

Other Information worth knowing...
If you planing on rooting this phone, the processor cant get overclocked higher than 600(Lame I know. Drop F-bombs, break things, listen to metal, whatever you have to do to get your frustration out). This phone would be on a top list of mine if i could over clock it to 1gHz.

Also, custom roms are hard to find for this device, might have to check out xda for custom roms (Try searching for LG Optimus T or V roms).

Any other questions feel free to ask!

-Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment